Home / Resources / Blog /Govt to Make Socso Contribution Mandatory for Security Guards
Govt to Make Socso Contribution Mandatory for Security Guards
# Human Resources# Employer

Govt to Make Socso Contribution Mandatory for Security Guards

Mohamad Danial bin Ab Khalil
by Mohamad Danial bin Ab Khalil
Oct 18, 2021 at 06:56 PM

Are You Hiring?

Find candidates in 72 Hours with 5+ million talents in Maukerja Malaysia & Ricebowl using Instant Job Ads.

Hire Now
A Job Thing Logo

According to Human Resources Minister Datuk Seri M Saravanan, the Ministry of Human Resources (MoHR) and the Ministry of Home Affairs (MoHA) will discuss a new directive that requires employers to make mandatory Social Security Organisation (Socso) contributions for security guards. 

He said this is because the ministry found the sector to be the most not contributed by its employees, aside from school contractors, small and medium enterprises, and the cleaning sector. 

The minister said that the MoHR had received numerous complaints that long-serving security guards do not have contributions from both Socso and the Employees Provident Fund (EPF).

"I will discuss with the Home Affairs Ministry so that despite whether the security guards work for a day or a month, they are provided with a safety net.

"I also warn security companies' employers to ensure their guards and employees are well protected," Saravanan said.

 

No compromise from the HR Ministry

He reminded that the sector of security services is crucial to Malaysia as they keep people safe. However, he said the security guards are not protecting themselves without contributing to Socso. 

He said that there is no compromise and that the Socso contribution costs less than RM20 only. He urged the relevant employers to cooperate on this issue.

When asked whether the MoHR would conduct any related inspections or operations regarding the issue, the minister emphasised that his party would be more aggressive.

"I've just made an announcement, so let's wait first. However, we will be strict on the employers who do not pay their security guard's contribution," he said.

On another matter, Sarvanan explained that the MoHR also received many complaints where employers cut Socso's contributions but were not accepted by the agency.  

Therefore, the MoHR would request Socso to strengthen enforcement and ensure that all employers from different sectors contribute. 

security guard
The HR ministry found that many employers did not make Socso contributions for their security guards.

The importance of contributing to Socso

Last week, the minister visited three siblings who lost their parents, Chandrakala Sivalingam, 43, who died of Covid-19 in August, and K Selvam Kalimuthu, 53, who died of a heart attack in April. 

Socso CEO Datuk Seri Dr Mohammed Azman Aziz Mohammed and other Socso officials were also present during the visit. 

Socso's inspection found that only Chandrakala was eligible to collect benefits under the Employees Social Security Act 1969 (Act 4). 

Saravanan said the three children had met the eligibility requirements, allowing the family to receive an invalidity pension of RM1,003.20 per month and RM2,000 in funeral management benefit. 

The MoHR noted that the family would receive the benefit until they reach 21-years-old or graduate from higher education institutions. 

Saravanan stressed that incidents such as this highlight Socso's benefits and why all employers and employees are urged to make contributions. He added that it is a must to ensure that the employee's future and that of their family is secure in the event of any unfortunate incident. 

 

Source: The Malaysian Reserve

Articles that might interest you 
CIMS Letter No Longer Necessary for These Sectors
Employers Can Now Get COVID-19 Self-Test Kits From SOCSO 
Clinic Assistant Unfairly Dismissed After 37 Years of Service

Search
© Copyright Agensi Pekerjaan Ajobthing Sdn Bhd SSM (1036935K) EA License Number JTKSM 232C Terms & Condition Privacy & Policy About Us