
Govt Will Proceed With RM1,500 Minimum Wage on May 1

Are You Hiring?
Find candidates in 72 Hours with 5+ million talents in Maukerja Malaysia & Ricebowl using Instant Job Ads.
Hire NowHuman Resources Minister Datuk Seri M Saravanan stated that the government will proceed and implement the new RM1,500 minimum monthly wage on May 1 nationwide, regardless of the situation.
The new minimum wage is according to the law
However, he said that the government will offer some leeway by postponing the implementation of the minimum wage rate to a few employment sectors, including the informal sector and businesses with less than five workers, when it comes into force.
He said that the Prime Minister, Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob, has declared that May 1 will be the day to implement the minimum wage to show appreciation to workers, so no matter what, the government will continue with the RM1,500 minimum wage.
Saravanan said that what matter is that the new minimum wage is not based on his wishes but according to the National Wage Consultative Council Act 2011, where the government must review the minimum wage every two years.
The minister said a few parties were willing to take advantage of the flexibility offered by the government in the minimum wage implementation, which could eventually prevent individuals from benefitting from it.
He also admitted that it is not easy to please all parties, specifically employers, regarding the implementation of the minimum wage, which the government will enforce comes May.
Last month, Prime Minister Ismail Sabri said the government will implement a new minimum monthly wage of RM1,5000 starting in May this year. However, there are some associations and employers still asking the government to reconsider the issue today.
Job placement for the homeless
The minister said this to reporters after the Zero Homeless Initiative, which is under the Social Security Organisation's (Socso) Job Placement Programme at Menara Perkeso here today.
Earlier, Saravanan also witnessed the memorandum of understanding (MoU) signing between Socso and MyQaseh Sdn Bhd to establish cooperation to provide job placement services for the homeless through the initiative.
On the Zero Homelessness Initiative, he said it was according to the government's plan to create 300,000 jobs in 2022, thus addressing the homelessness problem in Malaysia.
He said a total of 100 homeless persons had benefitted from job placements in 2021, and there was a need to facilitate the coordination of assistance so that Malaysia could resolve the homeless problem.
The MoU, which aimed to get job offers for the homeless, was signed by Socso's chief executive officer (CEO), Datuk Seri Mohammed Azman Aziz Mohammed and MyQaseh's CEO, Trina Thomas Raj.
Source: Bernama